Skip to content | Accessibility help | Sitemap | Advanced search

South Foreland Lighthouses

About this collection

  • Created by St Margaret's History Society
Views and documents relating to the Upper and Lower South Foreland Lighthouses. The first recorded light here dates to 1367. The first towers were built in 1635. The present towers were built by Trinity House in 1843 at a cost of £4409 4s 3d. The two lights were designed to work together as with the two lights lined up ships avoided the Goodwin Sands The lower light was decommissioned in 1904 after the sands shifted.
The Upper lighthouse,generally known since 1904 just as the South Foreland Lighthouse, continued in operation until 1988 when it was closed and sold to the National Trust who have opened it to the public
Popular tags